Pages


View Transmission Lines 1955 to 1974 in a larger map.
This interactive map reproduces the map produced by my father. It documents the power lines he worked on through image and text. Click on the towers.

18 January 2011

Riccardo Checchi

It's messages like this one from Riccardo Checchi that remind me of the warmth and strong bonds that made EPT such a strong community, an extended family.

Dear Miss Carroli

Allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Riccardo Checchi. I am also a former EPT man. Actually, I am a bit more than that because I worked at SAE Milano for almost 12 years before moving to Australia in 1967.

During my years with both companies I have accumulated a knowledge of people and stories that could be of interest to those that were associated with EPT.

I am also in possession of documents that could be described as historical, i.e. I have the article of incorporation of the company in Australia, brochures, personal letters etc etc

Since my retirement I have toyed with the idea of writing about EPT.

I am glad that you beat me to it!

In case you wonder, I got your email address and phone number from Leo Di Rocco the last of a generation of Di Roccos working for the company.

Incidentally, after reading your Transmission Lines 1954-1974 I have spread the word around and I can assure you that there is a group of people interested in cooperating with you should you wish to expand the story.

How did I get in touch with others, you may ask? I am the person responsible for organizing the yearly reunion of the "EPT survivors", usually in a nice restaurant because as we say in italian "Tutti i salmi finiscono in gloria"

I take this opportunity to thank you for the marvellous job you have done (I hope it is only a start) and wish you a very happy and prosperous new year.

Warmest regards
Riccardo Checchi

I've since been in touch with Riccardo because of his genuine interest in writing a history and preserving the documents. This will mean a different trajectory of work and perhaps some consultation with the library about we might establish an archive. In a later message he said:

as far as I am concerned you can use anything you like to put together an EPT history but............. please just do it.

If there is anything to assist just let me know; I am even prepared to come to Brisbane to receive instructions. People like your father, Perissinotto, Ziliani, Guazzelli and many many others have done a lot not only for EPT but also for this country.

The electricity sparking from the Snowy Mountains Scheme comes from EPT. We watch television in Sydney through Channel 9, another EPT success. And what about Mt. Coo-tha and many many others. I am very passionate about this old company of ours.

The Perissinotto family are good friends of my family and I was glad to see Riccardo's reference to them. My mother continues to stay in touch with Elio and Rita. I remember days spent with the family at their farm in Gympie.

No comments: